Saturday, April 2, 2016

Week 1: Two Cultures



From the 2015 Agar Art Contest: An art piece a strain of S. cerevisiae, infected with a virus called L-A. 
http://www.microbeworld.org/backend-submitted-news/1998
I didn't expect the concept of two cultures to be challenging. C.P. Snow discusses how (Western) society is seemingly split into two realms, the sciences and the humanities, and how that divide is impeding social progress. What I didn't expect, however, was the relevance this concept has had throughout my entire life. 

I was born and raised in Orange County, California. As the daughter of Vietnam War refugees, I have struggled with my bicultural identities as a Sino-Vietnamese American. My family sometimes labels me a "banana"--yellow on the outside but white on the inside. Greater society, however, sometimes doesn't see me as an American because of my physical appearance, leading to questions such as "Where are you really from?" Never fully Asian but also never completely American, I feel like I was undergoing “a struggle of flesh, a struggle of borders, [and] an inner war” as I constantly juggle two self-consistent but seemingly habitually incompatible frames of reference (Anzaldua, 1999). 

UCLA's Franz Hall, home of the Psychology department
http://www.paulrwilliamsproject.org/exhibition/1960s
/
In the academic world, I am a psychology major with a minor in education studies. People easily label me as having a North Campus minor, but they struggle trying to box me in based off of my major. Although I will earn a Bachelor of Arts in June, that doesn't change the face that I have had to learn about brain and eye anatomy, which maps onto life sciences. Psychology is even under the Dean of Life Sciences's jurisdiction, so psychology majors stand with all the other majors traditionally noted as life science during the College of Letters and Sciences Commencement ceremony. Franz Hall is even noted as the crossroads between North and South Campus, with the Herb Albert School of Music on its left and the MS Building on its right.


Are the arts and sciences really diametrically opposites?
http://circaedu.com/our-work/case-studies/infographics/
I believe the arts and sciences are important, with no discipline being better than the other. Of course, society, has its own values on what it thinks is important, but I am happy that we are slowly moving toward a third culture that combines what is historically considered two polar opposites. We see evidence of this, such as the med school student who uses art to study and the move away from STEM to STEAM. I can't wait to see what new ideas, improvements, and theories will emerge because of this third culture. 

Sources
Anzaldúa, Gloria. Borderlands = La Frontera. San Francisco: Aunt Lute, 1999. Print.
Lawrence, Hannah. "This Med Student Makes His Own Comics To Help Him Study." BuzzFeed. Buzzfeed. Web. 02 Apr. 2016.
Snow, C. P. The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution. London: Cambridge UP, 1993. Print.
Vesna, Victoria. "Toward a Third Culture: Being In Between." Leonardo 34.2 (2001): 121-25. 
Zakaria, Fareed. "Why America's Obsession with STEM Education Is Dangerous."Washington Post. The Washington Post. Web. 02 Apr. 2016.

4 comments:

  1. As a mixed race person who also grew up in Orange County, I sympathize with the challenges of not quite feeling as if you entirely belong to one of two different cultures. As a science major with an education minor, I also appreciate and relate to the challenges of trying to reconcile the two cultures of science and the humanities in your own studies. The feeling of being pulled apart between a perceived dichotomy - whether it be one of racial identity, or belonging to one of these "two cultures" - wears heavily on oneself. I too, am hopeful and excited as we progressively move towards a "third culture," for coming-together over the pulling-apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an immigrant, I feel quite the same way. Unconsciously, I am behaving differently at home and outside the home because of the cultural differences. Sometimes it makes me feel that I'm not fully belonging anywhere, but another way of thinking about it..I'm the lucky one who can learn and understand other cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that your post was very concise and well-written. Furthermore, reading about how the topic of two cultures resonates with your academic and personal experiences was something I connected with. Being a Psychology major as well, I definitely understand where you're coming from when you say that it is hard for you to label yourself as either part of the north or south campus exclusively at UCLA. The struggle you face of having bicultural identities is something a lot of people can probably relate to. For me, when I am with family and I do something "non-traditional" in my culture, my parents automatically label it as being "Americanized" with such strong negative connotation. Hence, I still struggle with the two cultures I belong to. However, just like what was highlighted in last week's topic, it is possible for "two cultures" to find common ground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find your post incredibly comforting, because I suffer from living a different cultural life from my family and from a great deal of my peers. One of the differences though, is that I was raised as a Nicaraguense, though I was born and raised in America. So naturally, I identified as such, and when I finally realized that I am also American, everything changed. Bridging these two aspects of my life is still undergoing, since being solely Nicaraguan is all I know.

    Considering campus life... In a very physical level of the UCLA campus, I live in North campus, Macgowan to be more specific. So being sentenced with an art major life means "having it easy," but this statement couldn't be more inaccurate. As a sound design major, a lot of learning of physics and math is required of me to succeed. With that comes, designing shows/productions, dedicating all my time, effort, and emotional availability to this art, and having to sacrifice my own sanity for the sake of it. It is never "easy" to stay on campus from 8am to 11pm, somehow fit work and general classes in, and co-exist. The separation isn't fair, because I use both of the cultures but the undermining from being more close to humanities is even worse.

    ReplyDelete